Saturday, February 09, 2008

Sexual Identity and the Craft

Merry Meet!

There are so many diverse people in the world today and there has never been such openess. This is true of the Craft. In the old days of the Craft, there were thoughts that gay folk could not perform magik because they could not raise the magikal energy in the Great Rite and there was imbalance in the energy because there were two of the same sex and not one of each, representing both god and goddess.

This was of course in the early years of the Craft and that is cahanging. There is a quote that many gay witches use that all love is from the goddess. This means that the sacred spirit embraces the energy from all acts of love, regardless of the orientation. Even those who have little or no sexual identity or who are single/celibate.

There are people out there, myself included, who identifies themself as Asexual. When I thought about myself as a sexual person, I thought of myself as non-sexual. Then I heard the expression asexual identity. I had heard the expression in biology but thought it applied to protozoan not to people, but, apparently there is a growing group of people who do not see other people in a sexual way who do not consider sexual activity with other people as very important and cannot relate to people as sexual creatures. We acknowledge physical attractiveness and desire relationships with others, including love relationships but not neccessarily sexual relationships.

My boyfriend, the old goat, learned of my asexuality early on. I was very upfront with him. But I also told him I was interested in experiencing the great rite with him. And he and I performed the great rite. This was a wonderful ritual but not in the way that I suspect that many people see it.

So can I be a witch and have no real sexual identity, no sexual nature? I think so. Because in the Bible there is a passage in Matthew, chapter 19 verse 12 "For there are some who are eunuchs which are born from their mother's womb, and there are some eunuchs which are made eunuchs of men and there be eunuchs who make themselves eunuchs for the Kingdom of Heaven's sake. He who is able to receive it, let him receive it."

I know that eunuch is not really the right word for what I am, but is the closest the Bible comes. And as with all things, there will be some who see it differently but for me, this verse acknowledeges people who may be like me and may be like me in that I consider it a part of my Craft work for the Kingdom of Heaven.

So, do not segregate people of other sexualities from your circles and covens. They are children of the sacred spirit and a part of the circle.

Brightest Blessings Be,
Aslinn Dhan Dragonhawk

No comments: