Sunday, December 16, 2007

Forgiveness and the Craft

Merry Meet!

We all make mistakes, we can't help it. We are human. And, as much as we might hate to admit it, we all have petty, mean, spiteful bigotries inside us. And, we are all, at one time or another completely intolerant and hateful to one another. That is the way things are, because though we carry the best barts of our sacred spirit inside of us, we are small hearted humans who have to not only learn to ask for forgiveness but to also forgive and this is what I wish to talk about right now.

I was told once that everyone is a hero to someone else at least once in their lives. And at least once in your life you do something that lets that person down. It just proves that you are human, fallable and prone to making mistakes. I have had heroes that let me down: Political Heroes like John F. Kennedy, Bill Clinton, John Kerry. Movie stars like Mel Gibson. TV stars like Dog Chapman, the Bounty Hunter. All of these people proved that they were either dishonest or dishonorable, ignorant or insensitive, or bigoted on some level, personally or openly.

But, if we are honset with ourselves, aren't we all like that? Don't we do things that we would rather not have the world know about? Aren't we in someway intolerant from time to time? I ask you, regardless of what you believe or don't believe, aren't we all casting stones upon sinners who are just like us? What should we do?

Forgive. It's tough. And I can't say that I have always been that forgiving. 9-11 really effected me strongly and I am still struggling with it all of the time. Racism? Boy, I would love to say that I am 100% free from racism but I know better and I struggle with it all of the time. Anti-homosexuality, I love people who are gay but I don't really accept their choices, but who am I to judge?

But at the same time I abhor any form of prejudice whether it is racial or sexual or political or social. Neo-Nazis and Zeno phobics and even religious intolerants drive me bug house. And I think it is because it easy to be one of them. They don't have to excuse themselves for their hatred. They simply let it be. But do we forgive?

Yes. We forgive because of the Law of return. Mercy is shown where mercy is given. So I forgive. I forgive those who hate people based on the color of their skin, the creed they follow, the gender they live in, the nation they come from. I forgive those who are simply sinners who are basically good people who make bad mistakes. I forgive myself and I will work to promote harmony among all people but I have to work to promote harmony in myself. And I think that is the first thing any of us should do. Forgive yourself of your ignorances and your petty evils and bigotries. Respect yourself, before you can demand respect from others. Forgive others before they even ask to be forgiven. Pity those who have allowed their hatred to make them small and mean and full of hate.

Karma gives back to us times three, Jesus said that you forgive a man seven times seventy, Buddha said that forgiveness is the heart of enlightenment. It's hard, but try it. And be kinder to one another, teach one another, love one another.

Brightest Blessings Be
Aslinn Dhan Dragonhawk

No comments: